[Coral-List] Fossil Reefs and Sea Level Rise

Paul Blanchon blanchons at gmail.com
Thu May 7 11:45:02 EDT 2009

Hi Gene,
Your logic escapes me on that one. The question clearly isn’t ‘has rapid
climate change occurred in the past’... it obviously has. The question is
‘what is causing global warming now’ …. and could it lead to irreversible
consequences if we sit by and do nothing.

Multiple lines of evidence clearly show that present global warming is the
result of burning fossil fuels, and that continuing to pump greenhouse gases
into the atmosphere will raise global temperatures to levels not seen during
even the warmest of past interglacials. That rapid jumps in sea level likely
occurred during these interglacials shows what we might be in for. But the
argument for doing something is based solely on our responsibility to right
what is wrong. We don’t have the right to mess things up for future
generations.
Saludos,
Paul.