[Coral-List] first report of a lion fish in continental Colombia - Granate

Katherine Cure katherine.cure at gmail.com
Fri May 15 00:03:01 EDT 2009

Dear Valeria,

Reports in San Andres from December last year had the southernmost
distribution
on the map in the Caribbean. Check out my last article in El Heraldo, local
newspaper
in Barranquilla, Colombia
(http://www.elheraldo.com.co/ELHERALDO/BancoConocimiento/M/mediopedra/mediopedra.asp<http://www.elheraldo.com.co/ELHERALDO/BancoConocimiento/M/mediopedra/mediopedra.asp>).

Sad to hear they are also in the beautiful Granate, so mainland Colombia
now.
I believe the increase in awareness is helping out to deal with the
situation in the best
way possible.
You should report the sighting to the USGS (
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/fish/lionfishdistribution.asp)  and check
out REEF's programs (http://www.reef.org/lionfish).

Kathy