[Coral-List] Lionfish invasion query - potential vectors involved in its apparent rapid, wide-scale spread...

Rob Hilliard, imco rhilliard at imco.com.au
Fri May 29 17:41:33 EDT 2009

Dear Listers

I was hoping Melissa Keyes' May 7 question (on why/how lionfish now seem
to be spreading so fast and wide) would invoke some responses  -
apologies if I've missed them!

Is it right to assume this apparent rapid spread - and sometimes across
large distances (e.g. outward to Bermuda / southwestward to central
America and still going south ) is not an artifact?  Or is it because
more divers in more areas are now specifically searching for it - but it
is such an obvious species to spot....

After its Florida discovery in the early nineties, is it correct to say
that it showed a 'conventional' northward spread (Gulf stream assisted)
- with its larvae occasionally showing up in New York by the early or
mid naughties?)

So if the apparent southward explosive spread  in the last 2-3 years is
real, does it have the larval characters / juvenile behaviors to achieve
it solely by self-spread  - and do the regional water current pathways
match the chronologies of its reported sightings across the Caribbean?

Or are there some human or seaweed rafting vectors lending a helping
hand to the larvae or young?

Has anyone looked at the DNA - are they all closely related to the
'founder' population off Florida?  Or does the evidence imply multiple
releases by Caribbean aquariaists who can't be bothered to kill or
return their pets to the shop?

I see there's a 2002 article (Whitfield) noting its potential to be
spread by the ballast water of trading ships - does the current evidence
/ knowledge base support this?

It strikes me that understanding how it's been spreading so widely  -
and apparently so quickly - may help identify ways to slow it down or at
least prevent large jumps - before it ends up along the whole western
Atlantic seaboard - from north of the Carolinas to Cabo Frio / Rio -
plus a large chunk of the west African coast plus the Atlantic islands
in between...

Cheers

Rob Hilliard PhD

InterMarine Consulting Pty Ltd

19 Burton Road, Darlington

Western Australia 6070

Mob:   +61 427 855 485

Office: +61 8 6394 0606

Fax:    +61 8 9255 4668

*rhilliard at imco.com.au <mailto:rhilliard at imco.com.au>*

*P**lease consider our environment before printing this e-mail