[Coral-List] New publication now online at Global Change Biology: coral name change

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Mon Nov 2 13:19:53 EST 2009

Dear All:

A few weeks ago I announced that a new study of the effects of seawater chemistry on coral calcification was available online at Global Change Biology

"Effects of variations in carbonate chemistry on the calcification rates of Madracis auretenra (= Madracis mirabilis sensu Wells, 1973): bicarbonate concentrations best predict calcification rates" by C. P. JURY, R. F. WHITEHEAD and A. M. SZMANT  Global Change Biology (2009), doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2009.02057.x

Please note the change in the nomenclature of the study species.  When I sent out the earlier post, Dr. Ernesto Weil pointed me to a change in the name of the species of coral many of us refer to as Madracis mirabilis.  The reference for this is:  Locke et al (2007) A newly documented species of Madracis (Scleractinia: Pocilloporidae) from the Caribbean. PROCEEDINGS OF THE BIOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON 120(2):214-226. 2007.

In any case, the final, corrected version of our paper is now available on-line.

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta