[Coral-List] Climate Change perceptions

Kelley Anderson liberationnow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:54:27 EST 2009

On the topic of  climate change perceptions, I would just like to point out
the need for an increased understanding of the huge contribution of
greenhouse gases emitted from factory farms, which recently won an
exemption<http://hslf.typepad.com/political_animal/2009/10/free-pass-for-factory-farms.html>from
accountability of these gases.  Factory farming contributes a huge
chunk of the worlds greenhouse gas emissions, ~18-25% depending upon who you
believe (18% according to the FAO -
http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html ).  Many of us
are aware of the environmental destruction associated with modern fishing,
but the link between factory farming and climate change has only recently
become more well known.  This comes as a great relief to myself, as I have
to deal with much less heckling for my food choices - some climate change
conferences even have a veg option now.

Unfortunately a last minute amendment was added to exempt livestock
production's greenhouse gas emissions from being regulated by the the EPA so
now we won't know for sure how much livestock really contributes.  The
livestock farming industries have essentially won a free
pass<http://hslf.typepad.com/political_animal/2009/10/free-pass-for-factory-farms.html>on
greenhouse gas emissions.  The actual text and link to H.R. 2996:
Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations
Act, 2010 are provided below.

I am primarily posting this to point out the seriousness of this exemption
and the need for accountability.  I hope it also helps explain the
perspective of many environmentally driven vegetarians and vegans, and even
offer one way to reduce your own carbon footprint, if you are so inclined.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-2996

prohibition on use of funds

Sec. 424. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, none of the funds made
available in this Act or any other Act may be used to promulgate or
implement any regulation requiring the issuance of permits under title V of
the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C.
7661<http://www.law.cornell.edu/usc-cgi/newurl?type=titlesect&title=42&section=7661>et
seq.) for carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, water vapor, or methane
emissions resulting from biological processes associated with livestock
production.
Cheers,
Kelley

--