[Coral-List] Fw: Artifical Reefs

Justin Enjo jenjo2008 at my.fit.edu
Tue Nov 17 10:59:27 EST 2009

Kristen,

Your topic generated a great discussion, so likewise, I feel the need to
chime in from an engineer's perspective on an aspect of artificial reefs
that I have been involved with.

As a coastal engineer, I too question the merit and reliability of
artificial reefs.  Our industry, like ALL, is feeling the effects of climate
change and resource depletion.  Sand resources are dwindling (believe it or
not), costs of dredging and beach nourishment are increasing.  More species
are becoming endangered making mitigation more expensive and challenging.
 Monitoring and permitting costs are even making essential projects
unattainable.

We cannot continue down this path.  The only possible viable solution I have
seen, in my humble opinion, is near-shore multipurpose artificial reefs that
help to build a salient, limit intervals between dredging, and supply
essential habitat for corals and fishes, not to mention add
recreation amenities such as diving.  However there are of course drawbacks,
and a surprising environmental resistance.  The point is, as decisions
become tougher and tougher to make, no one wants to make them, and this
isn't in the hands of scientists and researchers anymore, this is the
responsibility of Environmental Agencies, local and state governments, and
the permitting agencies.

So in response to your email, "Do you have any ideas of whether or not
artificial reefs are more harmful than helpful?" is no longer a science
question.  It's a responsibility question. It's a policy question. When we
(science) can prove that the "help" out-weights the "harm," we need our
administrators and elected leaders to stand behind us and make the tough
decisions, and this extends well beyond the realm of just artificial reefs.

-Justin