[Coral-List] About Coral-List

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Nov 24 13:21:18 EST 2009

I think the 'About Coral-List' page is fine overall. However, clearly, some
of the most important impacts the list have involved people without specific
scientific training providing information that formally-trained researchers
need to know and vice-versa. Of course, all involved in those transactions
are being researchers (including scientists) in a broad sense. However, we
might consider changing "coral health researchers and scientists" to
"researchers and others interested in coral reef health". Note that 'coral
reef health' is appropriately a bit more inclusive than 'coral health'. I am
quite happy to see the participation of many reef managers, diving guides,
recreational divers and others in the discussions, and see them as adding
greatly to progress in the science and management of coral reefs.

However, I agree with Gene that straying more than a day or two off of coral
reef topics is something to minimize.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu
 Phone: 305-421-4814   Fax: 305-421-4910

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate