[Coral-List] Job advertisement - Senior Research Manager at
dwinton at earthwatch.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 05:07:02 EST 2009
I would like to apologise that the information below was missed on the posting regarding the Senior Research Manager position at Earthwatch:
A full job description can be found at http://www.earthwatch.org/europe/get_involved/jobs/
Application deadline: 3-00pm 23rd. December 2009, with interviews planned to take place on w/c 25th. January 2010
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to Dave Davies, HR Manager at ddavies at earthwatch.org.uk
All applicants must have the relevant visa to work in the UK. No help can be given for any visa applications.
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:04:52 -0000
From: "Debbie Winton" <dwinton at EARTHWATCH.ORG.UK>
Subject: [Coral-List] Job advertisement - Senior Research Manager at
To: <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>, <IYOR-UK at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
<0BDA954190B0344B82FD28336B41D1C502AE1F46 at exchangesrv1.earthwatchewe.lan>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
I am writing on behalf of Earthwatch Institute, with the following advertisement for the position of Senior Research Manager in our UK office. The advertisement can also be found on our website http://www.earthwatch.org/europe/get_involved/jobs/
Please feel free to distribute this to anyone or any lists that you feel may be interested.
Senior Research Manager, Oceans
£38,453 - £42,453
Earthwatch Institute is an international environmental non-profit organization which supports around 80 field research projects in over 35 countries. The International Research team at Earthwatch develops and supports field research projects in collaboration with a wide range of external scientists and other stakeholders.
Summary of role
The Senior Research Manager is expected to develop a world class research program based on public participation with a primary focus on oceans ecosystems. This program is expected to promote action and understanding to:
* Enhance the sustainability of oceans and associated ecosystems, and provide regional and local ecosystem services.
* Protect critical habitat and species, to enhance biodiversity.
The Senior Research Manager will be responsible for:
* Implementation and oversight of field research programs, with a primary focus on Oceans research projects * Delivery on funded programs and securing of significant additional funding for the associated research programs.
* Maintenance of a strong network of scientists and research institutions to ensure the field research and scientific outputs of the Earthwatch supported programs have highest impact.
* Enhance and expand capacity development activities to support scientists.
* Disseminate and communicate research findings to key audiences, including general public and policy makers.
* Reporting and evaluation of research programs.
As a member of a global team of Earthwatch scientists, the Senior Research Manager is also responsible for supporting the implementation of all activities within Earthwatch's International Research Program, such as communications and capacity development. The Senior Research Manager will report to the International Director of Research, who is responsible for overseeing and implementing Earthwatch's International Research Program. The Senior Research Manager will be based in Oxford, UK and have senior responsibility for administration of the Research Department activities (e.g. budget, business planning) at the Oxford office.
Specific SENIOR Research Manager Oceans responsibilities
Implementation and Oversight of the Research Programs * Manage the existing portfolio of research projects for delivery of project outcomes, successful Scientist stewardship and Earthwatch Measures of Success (MoS).
* Further develop the Oceans programs by recruiting new prospective researchers and helping to secure additional funding to support new projects.
Develop and deliver funded programs
* Lead and support initiatives to secure funding for projects and programs for successful development of the Research programs.
* Deliver key research program objectives for relevant funded projects.
* Support the development of a business case for PA support and soliciting feedback from Development, Corporate, and Volunteer recruitment teams on project support.
Research and conservation partnership development * Build a strong coalition of partners with NGOs, research institutions and key decision makers (in Governments and statutory agencies in project locations/regions) to enhance delivery of Oceans programs.
* Contribute to International conventions and major international organizations for the Oceans program (e.g. CBD, Ramsar, IUCN, UNESCO).
* Ensure effective delivery of key outcomes to agendas, and management plans; contribution to major International Initiatives for the PA; contribute to legacy in project communities.
Monitoring, evaluation, and reporting
* Support the implementation of Organizational Measures of Success for Oceans programs.
* Produce an annual assessment and report on achievements on Oceans against MoS and Initiative goals.
* Support updating and development of reporting systems for Earthwatch scientists.
Research program capacity development
* Support implementation of scientist training grants, and identification of opportunities for capacity development programs.
External communications and events
* Publications and presentations at key regional and international meetings * Support general communication with Earthwatch scientists and partners, including input for Research web pages, production of posters, annual lecture series, and development of specific position and/or policy papers.
* Support the development and implementation of RA communications plan for internal and external audiences, including verbal, written, and visual methods to communicate results.
* Support the creation and delivery of Programs for Education and Engagement.
* Support programs to reduce environmental impact of Earthwatch activities.
* Evidence of conducting own research on oceans, including appropriate scientific/environmental doctorate, or equivalent experience. Individuals with a wider interest in freshwater systems as well are encourage to apply.
* Evidence of competency in developing programs that actively engage people in field research * Evidence of knowledge of major global environmental issues with a focus on oceans * Significant project management experience, including management of budgets, planning, and reporting * Evidence of strong leadership abilities * Track record of securing funding from a variety of sponsors, and experience of collaboration or involvement with the corporate sector is an advantage.
* Evidence of effective networking and the establishment of partnerships that have led to the creation of new programs and generation of funds.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including public speaking and science writing, including evidence of a sustained output of publications and presentations * Experience using web-based technology and new social media to network and communicate an advantage * Negotiation and influencing skills, and a flexible approach which responds to the challenges of change.
* Demonstrable personal effectiveness in setting standards, reaching solutions and completing tasks for multiple concurrent projects.
* Act under own initiative and also work effectively in teams; good staff management skills.
256, Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 7DE, UK.
Tel: 00 44 (0)1865 318805
Fax: 00 44 (0)1865 311383
E-mail: dwinton at earthwatch.org.uk <mailto:dwinton at earthwatch.org.uk>
Website: www.earthwatch.org/europe <http://www.earthwatch.org/europe>
More information about the Coral-List