[Coral-List] About Coral List rewrite

Christopher Hawkins chwkins at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 15:50:18 EST 2009

All-

I echo Billy's and others' comments and add that the ultimate value of the Coral List is not that it provides an avenue to discuss coral-related biophysical and social science, but that it is a vehicle to discuss myriad topical issue regarding coral management.  I know that I benefit from hearing about others' perspectives and areas of speciality.

The larger driving force is that ecosystem-based management is no longer conceptualized as just rocks and trees and critters, nor is it now defensible to study ecological and social systems in isolation (e.g., Redman et al., 2004).  The ecosystem is in fact the intersection of the social, ecological, and environmental domains.  In that context, a Coral List that provides for discussions about politics, economics, law, and social values (as they pertain to the management of coral reefs) alongside discussions of climactic events, hurricanes, COT outbreaks, larval recruitment, and bleaching is responsive, appropriate, and holistic.

Keep up the good work.

Best,
Chris

Redman, C. L., J. M. Grove, and L. H. Kuby. (2004).  Integrating social science into the long-term ecological research (LTER) network: social dimensions of ecological change and ecological dimensions of social change. Ecosystems, 7:161-171.