[Coral-List] functions of soft sediment?

Danielle Jayewardene danielle.jayewardene at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 14 16:58:56 EDT 2009

Dear coral-list members,

Do you have evidence/information on the functions and services
(biological-, geochemical-, physical) of marine soft sediment/sand
habitat? If so I would love to hear about this.

I wish to compile such information for my Habitat Conservation Division
of the NOAA Fisheries, Pacific Islands Regional Office in Honolulu, so
we may assess from a management and ecosystem perspective whether
impacts to sand bottom (within, adjacent and even away from reef
systems) need to be better regulated in the Pacific Islands.

Examples of sand bottom functions might be for habitat, movement
corridors, feeding, recycling of nutrients/detoxification of pollutants,
physical buffers, and/or for fisheries/marine mammals/sea birds through
trophic links (e.g. consumers feeding on organisms that in turn feed on
soft sediment invertebrates).

Many thanks for your attention!
Aloha,
Danielle