[Coral-List] Reef scientists attending COP-15

Melanie McField mcfield at healthyreefs.org
Tue Oct 27 02:14:36 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the ISRS council, I have offered to compile a list of all of us
that will be attending COP-15 in Copenhagen so that we can better coordinate
our activities and messaging for coral reef conservation.  I encourage other
reef scientists, particularly those from small Island States to consider
going as technical support for your country's official delegates (you can be
added to the delegate list).

I am aware of several UN, CARICOM, AOSIS and other side events, media
products, statements, etc  that will focus attention on coral reefs, but
would appreciate information on other events, statements, etc.

If anyone else has already initiated a similar effort please let me know and
I will be happy to coordinate any replies I receive.  I would also like to
share information on which carbon offset programs are being recommended to
mitigate the travel to this event.

We need better coordination and clear messages about what the various CO2
targets may mean for the future of coral reefs. We can and must help flip
the potential flop in Copenhagen. Remember, even if you're not going you can
sign the online petitions at  www.sealthedeal2009.org/  and www.350.org that
are gathering signatures in support of binding commitments  to curb CO2
emissions.

I look forward to hearing from others that plan to attend.

Regards,
Melanie
--
Melanie McField, PhD
Coordinator, Healthy Reefs for Healthy People Initiative
email: mcfield at healthyreefs.org  or mcfieldm at si.edu
www.healthyreefs.org
www.mnh.si.edu

Join the International Society for Reef Studies
www.fit.edu/isrs/