[Coral-List] Pacific Decadal Oscillation cooling & Feedback Loops

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Tue Oct 27 03:26:22 EDT 2009

Dear Gene & Pre-Copenhagen Folks-

Have you forgotten the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) and the cooling effects
associated with its influence ? Also, please understand that the global
biological sink strength is deminishing due to de-forestation and plankton
metabolic ability to sequester CO2 during current hot-spot heat stress events
and acidic conditions. How can you ignore the biological feed-back loops
associated with these trends.  It is known that; there has been a significant
loss of, wetlands, old growth forests, and forest soils in the past 100 yrs
responsible for the sequestration of CO2.  This, coupled with the unknown
sequestering ability ("efficiency") of diatoms and coccoliths, not to mention
the loss of fisheries which are part of the "carbon pump", during this past 100
years.

Question:
Are you saying that the loss of these above biological organisms on the planet,
responsible for sequestering CO2, are not playing a significant role in the
modulation & control of the earths atmosphere, thereby controlling atmospheric
greenhouse gasses ?  Do you think that the loss of coastal marine, oceanic and
rainforest habitat in the past 100 years plays no role in the accelerated
greenhouse effect we are seeing outside of short cool blips ?

FYI:
The Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO) is a pattern of Pacific climate
variability that shifts phases on at least inter-decadal time scale, usually
about 20 to 30 years, not 7 as you suggest. Cheers-James

Here is a good one for all you listers just in-case we all forgot! See Lynns
Abstract below:

Biological modulation of the Earth's atmosphere

Lynn Margulis and J. E. Lovelock

Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA

Department of Applied Physics, University of Reading, Reading, England

Received 7 August 1973;  revised 6 November 1973.

Abstract
We review the evidence that the Earth's atmosphere is regulated by life on the
surface so that the probability of growth of the entire biosphere is maximized.
Acidity, gas composition including oxygen level, and ambient temperature are
enormously important determinants for the distribution of life. We recognize
that the earth's atmosphere deviates greatly from that of the other terrestrial
planets in particular with respect to acidity, composition, redox potential and
temperature history as predicted from solar luminosity. These deviations from
predicted steady state conditions have apparently persisted over millions of
years. We explore the concept that these anomalies are evidence for a complex
planet-wide homeostasis that is the product of natural selection. Possible
homeostatic mechanisms that may be further investigated by both theoretical and
experimental methods are suggested.

Dr. John Bruno Wrote:

As I pointed out a few weeks ago, Gene, like many anthropogenic
climate change skeptics, is confusing weather and climate.  But you
have to wonder if this ignorance is willful.  It may indeed have been
cool in Florida last week.  I was in Amherst, MA then and was in
shorts and a t-shirt.  But both facts are irrelevant in the debate
over the role of people in the observed the climatic warming.  Is that
not obvious?

That "it was cold in my home town last week!" is a very common skeptic
argument, referred to as the “it’s freaking cold!” argument:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-cold-weather.htm

or the  “Wagga Wagga” argument:
http://www.grist.org/article/its-cold-today-in-wagga-wagga/

as in "it's cold today in Wagga Wagga!"

You can read the overview of skeptic arguments, including links that
falsify them, I sent to the coral-list a while back here:
http://www.climateshifts.org/?p=2683

John Bruno
Associate Professor
UNC Chapel Hill
www.brunolab.net
www.climateshifts.org

Gene Shinn Wrote:

Dear Hans, I am in communication with a network
of climate folks..both AGWs and deniers. With
that in mind I sent the website you posted
<http://climatecongress.ku.dk/newsroom/news_letters/Newsletter_June_2009.pdf/>
to several climate experts to get their response.
Below are two that came back right away.
"I looked at the writing team of the Climate
Change Copenhagen article referenced below and
failed to note a geologist or geoclimatologist by
their titles.  Economists were mentioned and a
gentleman from Cal Berkeley.  The introduction
seemed to suggest renowned scientists were the
writersŠhardly.  I wonder who the reviewers
were/areŠ.scientists (political).  Not taking a
side but what a bandwagon!!!"

"Yes, they all must have a PhD in Social Services."
Pretty sure readers readers will be up in arms
over the above but will be overjoyed with what is
below.
<http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/coral_conservation/pdfs/Coral_petition_10-20-09.pdf>http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/coral_conservation/pdfs/Coral_petition_10-20-09.pdf

Remember I am just the messenger.
Gene