[Coral-List] Public perceptions about climate change: US the most educated, incentivized?

osmarjljr at terra.com.br osmarjljr at terra.com.br
Thu Oct 29 09:44:14 EDT 2009

  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
Well, "the most technologically advanced nation in the world" [sic]
are yet struggling with creationists that wish (and sometimes
succeed) to implement the view of 'Adam and Eve' origins of the world
to teach their children at school.
 I'm not hopeless about Darwin and the future of evolution as a
fact!! :):):)
 Osmar J. Luiz
 PhD student
 Macquarie University
 Sydney, Australia
 On Qua 28/10/09 18:03 , "Georgina Bustamante"
gbustamante at bellsouth.net sent:
  I don't see why the world has to loose hope "if the most
technologically
 advanced nation in the world cannot preserve its OWN coral
reefs".....
 If you mean ...."if the most technologically advance world doesn't
do
 anything to stop climate change" I agree, then but protecting coral
reefs is
 more than stopping climate change.
 Redicing local impact is a big part of making them resilient, and it
might
 be more realistic to expect small islands states or third world
countries to
 be more interested in managing well reefs if their livelihoods
depend on
 their ecological services (fishing, tourism, etc.), and their
population is
 closer to the sea (geographically and culturally).
 Everything is about incentives (economic?), and the US people (not
us,
 scientists, conservationists) may not have enough incentive to learn
 on/contribute to the restoration of coral reefs. Their life is not
directly
 depending on them.
 Georgina Bustamante, Ph.D.
 Coordinator, Caribbean Marine Protected Area Management (CaMPAM)
Network
 and Forum
 GCFI Board of Directors
 "A social network for enhancing MPA effectiveness in the
 Wider Caribbean through communication and capacity building tools"
 Hollywood, Florida
 Tel./fax (request) +1 (954) 963-3626
 Mobile +1 (305) 297-6995
 email: gbustamante at bellsouth.net [1] (preferred) and campam at gcfi.org
[2];
 skype: yoyibustamante
 CaMPAM web sites:
 http://campam.gcfi.org/ [3]
 http://cep.unep.org/about-cep/spaw/campam-network-and-forum [4]
 To subscribe or unsubscribe to CaMPAM list, go to
 http://gcfi.org/Forms/CAMPAMLSubscribeEng.php [5]
 To send a message to CaMPAM List, send it to
campam-l at listserv.gcfi.org [6]
 To access the Regional MPA Database go to
http://cep.unep.org/caribbeanmpa [7]