[Coral-List] Of Artificial Reefs, Corporate Bodies & Reef Rehabilitation

Bart Huzaimi badrulhuzaimi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:21:49 EDT 2009

Good day,

Recently, I read an article in a local newspaper re: corporate bodies
planting aritificial reefs as part of its corporate social responsibility
programs. This article can be found at:
http://thestar.com.my/gogreenlivegreen/story.asp?file=/2009/9/1/gogreenlivegreen/4605532&sec=gogreenlivegreen
Now, I'd like to know whether is it a good practice to encourage corporate
bodies (as in the article) to continue its artificial reefs programs. What
will be the pros and cons in doing so? Will it be a feasible idea to
introduce coral transplantation for the artificial reefs? Will it cause more
harm than good to the reef ecosystem? What would be a better idea to suggest
to such corporate bodies with regards to conservation activities which may
sound sexier than artificial reef planting?

Any ideas and comments would be much appreciated.

--
Thank you.

Wassalam.

Best regards,
Bart.

Post-graduate student,
Universiti Malaya
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Email: Badrul_h at hotmail.com
Tel: (+6) 013-308-8792
Web:http://www.flickr.com/photos/badrulhuzaimi

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"

*** This email was sent from my BlackBureet ***