[Coral-List] Of Artificial Reefs, Corporate Bodies & Reef

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu Sep 17 11:30:14 EDT 2009

Hi Sebastian,

The Reef Ball Foundation has a certification program where either
mitigations or reef rehabilitation efforts are certified as using "best
practices" and having followed the processes outlined in the Step by Step
Guide to Reef Rehabiltation that we wrote to ensure grassroots (or private
non-scientific efforts) follow process steps that set defined goals for a
project, quantify them, designs approaches to accomplish them, and then
monitors and adjusts against those goals and measurements.

While this process is not perfect and is continually being refined (as new
science and practical experiances allow), it does help guide projects to
successful implementation of reef rehabilitation efforts.

Obviously, in this case, Panasonic did not contact us for guidance or
certification or for example they would have found that any plastic product
(PVC) is not an acceptable material for grassroots efforts.  (And we are not
making value judgments on if PVC is usefully as scientists may find so in
specific situations...what we ARE saying is that Grassroots and private
organizations should not use certain materials that are known to have had
problems in the past...in the case of PVC disassociation, movement, and
MARPOL legal violations are just a few of the issues).

As a certifying public non-profit organization, we encourage all of you as
scientists to bear pressure on projects involving reef rehabilitation with
questionable motives, skills, resources, or knowledge to contact us (or any
other qualified reef rehabilitation entity) and to obtain proper guidance.

In our view, ANY resources that are attempting to aid our reef ecosystems
can be helpful.....as long as we all band together to make sure the efforts
are at least in the right direction and have little or no downside effects
on the ecosystem.  Most efforts just need good guidance!

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
www.reefball.org
252-353-9094

Skype name: toddbarber
Cell Phone 941-720-7549

3305 Edwards Court
Greenville, NC 27858

Inbox protected by ClearMyMail
www.ClearMyMail.com {c2509d95650d4b87a5a76fe30c468363}

This message and any included attachments are covered by the Electronic
Communication Privacy Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. sections 2510-21) and may
contain information protected by the federal regulations or other
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any
retention, dissemination, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited;
please call the sender to tell them that you have received the message in
error, then delete it.