[Coral-List] Artificial Reefs and Corporate Bodies and ReefRehabilitation

Steve Kolian stevekolian at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:54:21 EDT 2009

Dear Listers, I thought it would be helpful to add some video data and information to the recent discussion of offshore platforms.  Please view video data on the marine life at offshore platforms in Gulf of Mexico and Pacific,  go to:

Gulf of Mexico Platforms: http://www.ecorigs.org/Schooling%20Fish-1.wmv (1.2 MB)
www.ecorigs.org/Attraction%20vs%20ProductionVideo-1.wmv (1.5MB)
Pacific Platform Helen: http://www.ecorigs.org/Platform_Ellen.wmv   (9MB)
Invertebrates:  http://www.ecorigs.org/CoralSponge-2.wmv (1.5MB)
To view a map of the existing fixed offshore platforms: http://www.ecorigs.org/Existing%20Platforms.pdf
Discussion of Platforms: http://www.ecorigs.org/MarineLifeonOffshorePlatforms (60MB)
Information on Platform:
The Gulf of Mexico is home to 3,959 offshore oil and gas platforms. The offshore platforms are peppered across 260,000 sq km area in the northwest Gulf of Mexico, an area influenced by major tributaries.  Many platforms create complex reef ecosystems, comprised of Caribbean, temperate and coastal flora and fauna that would otherwise not exist on thousands of square miles of generally featureless and silty continental shelf. Large predator fish, obligatory reef fish and a wide range of invertebrates are abundant at offshore platforms.
When production from the wells becomes unprofitable, federal regulations (30 CFR 250.112) require that the platforms be removed. One platform produces approximately one acre or more of marine surface area. The platform owners have, to date, removed 1,736 fixed platforms resulting in the destruction of an estimated 2,098 acres of coral reef habitat.  The total volume of the underwater portion of the platforms already removed is 52,398,731m3. Due to the depletion of petroleum fields, by 2020, the Gulf of Mexico will lose the majority of the structures in water depths less than 600 feet.  There is an estimated 4,465 acres of coral reef habitat currently existing in the Gulf of Mexico in the form of oil and gas platforms. The total volume of the underwater portion of the existing platforms is 127,712,369m3. Today’s cost to replace an equivalent number of artificial reefs at $140/m3 is $17.9 billion. For more info go to: http://www.ecorigs.org/Platform%20Removal%20Brief.pdf

Offshore platform removal operations typically involves the use of explosives to sever structure-associated components requiring removal (wellheads, piles, pipe lines, etc.) 16 feet below the seafloor.  Millions of invertebrates perish when a structure is removed. Invertebrates such as colonies of coral, octocoral, mollusks, red and green algae macroalgae, hydroids, colonial anemones, sponge and bryozoans. Both large and small cryptic consumers such as amphipods, pycnogonids, ophiuroids, and polychaetes are found on platforms in significant densities ranging from 100,464 per square meter near the surface to 23,541 per square meter near the bottom (Gallaway and Lebel 1981; Carney 2005).

Estimated mortality of fish at a given platform removal within depths from 40 - 100 feet ranged from approximately 2,000 - 5,000 for fish measuring greater than four inches (Gitshlag 2001). The most severely impacted fish species at explosive structure removals in order of abundance were Atlantic spadefish (Chaetodipterus faber), blue runner (Caranx crysos), red snapper (Lutjanus campechanus), and sheepshead (Archosargus probatocephalus). These four species accounted for 86% of estimated mortality. Gitshlag (2003) estimated the mortality of red snapper due to under-water explosives averaged 515 per platform.

Offshore platforms are remarkable structures: they are enormous; they will last a hundred years or more if they are properly maintained and do not encounter a catastrophic weather event. They occupy the entire water column, therefore shallow water obligatory reef fish and deep water demersal and pelagic fish are found at the same place. The fish biomass at offshore platforms is ten times greater, per unit area, than the fish biomass at coral reefs in marine sanctuaries (Flower Gardens) and platforms toppled as artificial reefs (Wilson et. al 2003). The platforms are durable enough to be modified to increase the amount of surface area and recruitment habitat which could increase resident populations significantly.

The retired offshore platforms can be refitted for alternate uses such as: 1. Production of renewable energy derived from wind, current, wave and bio-fuels; 2. Hydrogen production, (i.e. extraction of hydrogen from seawater via electrolysis); 3. Culture of coral and sponges, oyster depuration, ornamental and food fish, etc.); 4. Recreational fishing and diving parks; 5. Culture of pharmaceutically valuable organisms; 6. Marine Sanctuaries; 7. Sequestration of greenhouse gases.

Best Regards, Steve Kolian 225-910-0304 cell