[Coral-List] New experimental Coral Reef Watch products for coral disease and bleaching

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 30 13:49:20 EDT 2009

We are pleased to announce two completely new experimental data
products.  Because these products are very new, we are currently
restricting access to collaborators involved in product evaluation. If
you would like to work with us on either of these projects, please e-
mail coralreefwatch at noaa.gov to request access.

Risk maps for coral disease outbreaks, based on satellite sea surface
temperature data, will help managers and researchers pinpoint areas at
high risk.  The maps currently cover the Great Barrier Reef and the
Hawaiian archipelago.

http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/research/dz_index.html

The second product measures the “Light Stress Damage” that causes
coral bleaching and mortality, combining satellite measurements of
temperature and light.  This product is currently available for the
Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and Gulf of California regions.

http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/research/lsd_index.html

We always welcome your comments and input at coralreefwatch at noaa.gov.

Cheers,

Mark

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136
301-502-8608 mobile

"This is the generation that must also stop the spread of the
pollution that is slowly killing our planet, from shrinking coastlines
and devastating storms to widespread misery and famine and drought.
The effects of climate change are now in plain sight."
Barack Obama, Apr. 3 2009