[Coral-List] Strobes blind seahorses?

Julian @ Reefcheck Malaysia julian at reefcheck.org.my
Fri Apr 2 00:30:16 EDT 2010

Hi Sarah

That is a very useful analysis. As I said on an earlier response, I am not a
marine scientist, so I am out of my depth here. It may well be this whole
thing of flash killing seahorses is an urban myth, as someone said
previously. But I can't help thinking, from observation of diver behaviour,
that there has to be some sort of impact on the poor things. Imagine
yourself being subject to 40 minutes of non-stop flash photography as a
procession of divers with huge cameras and bigger strobes passes by and
hassles you (not to mention the dive guide turning your home inside out to
try and find you with his long metal stick!! And then the next boat comes
along!

But the argument about making the subject more vulnerable to real threats
(predators, time sharing with other activities!!) strikes a chord, so I will
stick with that argument for now. I am always trying to tell divers to be
considerate in the marine realm, and this is part of it.

So thanks for your feedback!

Regards

Julian Hyde
General Manager
Reef Check Malaysia Bhd
www.reefcheck.org.my
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rcmalaysia

"The bottom line of the Millenium Asessment findings is that human actions
are depleting Earth's natural capital, putting such strain on the
environment that the ability of the planet's ecosystems to sustain future
generations can no longer be taken for granted."