[Coral-List] The passing of John R. Clark

Christopher Hawkins chwkins at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 14:51:49 EDT 2010

Hello Listers-

It is with sadness that I pass along the news of John Clark's death several days ago.  Perhaps not as well known in the more narrow coral reef arena, John was active in coastal management in government, as an author, and later as a consultant.  Some of his best known books include the Coastal Zone Management Handbook, Coastal Ecosystem Management, Marine and Coastal Protected Areas: A Guide for Planners and Managers, and Coastal Seas: the Conservation Challenge. He was formerly the assistant director of the Sandy Hook Marine Laboratory in New Jersey and the director of the Narragansett Marine Laboratory in Rhode Island.

John spent much of the past several decades in the Florida Keys and has been active since his retirement in civic organizations that, among others things, are involved in Keys' and Washington State environmental issues.

John was a mentor and a friend and my sympathies go out to his wife Catie and the rest of his family.

Best regards,
Chris