[Coral-List] Environmental Educator Full Time Position
emily at sanibelseaschool.org
Wed Apr 14 12:29:55 EDT 2010
*Job Description – Environmental Educator, Sanibel Sea School
The Sanibel Sea School is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting
marine conservation through experiential education. We are located on
Sanibel Island, Florida. We offer day courses for both young people and
adults. A detailed description of Sanibel Sea School, our programs and
course offerings may be found on our web site, *www.sanibelseaschool.org*.
The Environmental Educator is the curriculum supervisor of, and an
instructor for Sanibel Sea School, Inc. The Environmental Educator reports
to the Executive Director, and is responsible for the organization's
achievement of its mission through the planning and execution of an
excellent curriculum of experiential education centered on marine
environments and conservation. *
*In curriculum development and administration, the Environmental Educator
- Help develop and deliver a pedagogical curriculum which achieves its
- Assure that the curriculum is delivered on a day-to-day basis in a state
of excellence as accepted by educational standards.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the
curricular components of Sanibel Sea School’s work.
- As need be, maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance
with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the
field of marine science, coastal ecology, and marine conservation.
*In communications, the Environmental Educator will:*
- Assist the Program Director to publicize the curricular activities of the
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with
institutions, community groups and organizations to promote course offerings
- Assist the Executive Director and Program Director with representation of
the mission, programs, and curriculum to agencies, organizations, and the
*In relations with staff, the Environmental Educator will:*
- Work closely with the Sanibel Sea School team to deliver our outstanding
- Act as leader of summer camp programs to provide team support,
encouragement and organization to a staff of 6 to 8 people on a daily basis..
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist with
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff
of top quality people.
*In communications, budget and finance, the Environmental Educator will:*
- Work with the Executive Director to prepare a budget and see that the
educational program operates within budget guidelines.
- Jointly, with the Executive Director, conduct official correspondence of
*In Fundraising and Development, the Environmental Educator will:*
- Work with the Executive Director, Program Director, and appropriate
organization committees to develop and execute fundraising programs.
- A college degree and completion of college-level courses in Biology,
Marine Biology, Ecology, Evolution, Environmental Science, Early Childhood
Education, Plant Biology, Ecology, or some combination thereof.
- Have or be able to readily obtain a Florida CDL (Chauffeur’s Driver’s
- Have or be able to obtain a Level II Federal Background Screening.
- Have or be able to readily obtain certifications in CPR, First Aid, and
- Be a strong and competent swimmer, comfortable in outdoor settings and be
capable of the physical requirements to lead groups of children and adults
on field trips in a variety of natural environments.
- Be capable of lifting 40 lbs, and be capable of working in the
sub-tropical conditions of southwest Florida for eight-hour work days.
- Have the computer skills of word-processing, spreadsheet manipulation,
internet research, and data entry.
- Have a passion for the natural environment and a desire to promote marine
conservation by sharing this passion and knowledge to the natural world to
- Advanced degree in environmental education, natural resource conservation,
or a related field.
- Experience in teaching primary-school age children and/or adults.
- Experience in curriculum development of environmental education.
- Experience in web site design, manipulation and blogging.
- A working knowledge of the fauna and flora of SW Florida.
*Salary and Compensation:*
The salary is commensurate with experience and education, vacation time and
health benefit options are provided. No housing is provided.
*Job Duration and Work Load: *
This is a full-time, permanent position on an annual contract that is
renewable upon satisfactory completion of the first year. The school
operates six days a week during parts of the year, and regular five day
weeks during other times of the year.
*Closing Date:* May 3, 2010, or until filled
*Beginning Date:* June 12, 2010 or a mutually agreed upon date.
A letter of application, copies of college transcripts (they may be
unofficial initially), and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email
addresses of three references that can describe the applicant’s capabilities
to meet the minimum requirements.
Materials may be submitted by mail to: Sanibel Sea School, PO Box 1229,
Sanibel, FL 33957; or they may be electronically submitted to *
jobs at sanibelseschool.org*.
Inquiries may be made to Bruce Neill, Ph.D., Executive Director at *
jobs at sanibelseaschool.org*.
*Please excuse any cross-postings.
Sanibel Sea School
Visit us online! www.sanibelseaschool.org
Read our blog: http://sanibelseaschool.wordpress.com/
Become a fan of Sanibel Sea School on Facebook for news and updates!
More information about the Coral-List