[Coral-List] Reef Ball Foundation is seeking published or unpublished studies or experiences using chlorhexidine for coral fragmentation and propagation

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu Apr 22 13:33:22 EDT 2010

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience using chlorhexidine (solutions) as an
antiseptic for reducing susceptibility to rapid tissue necrosis (and other
bacterial infections)  in Acropora (or other coral species)  after
fragmentation or other injury?  Also, does anyone have any knowledge of
Chlorhexidine treatments in the deterrence of coral predators (such as fire
worms) owing to it's residual activity and "bad taste"?  We are looking for
experiences with concentrations of non-alchohol based versions of
chlorhexidine as an adjunct or replacement to povidone iodine solution
treatments currently used on our coral propagation tables.

Any information on the concentration levels that cause toxicity in various
hard and soft coral species is also greatly appreciated.  We are also
interested in information on length of exposure to this chemical in terms of
retaining residual antibacterial and anti-predator effects. Toxicity to any
other marine life information would also be useful.  Finally, has anyone
tried to use chlorhexidine in situ for treatment of coral bacterial
diseases?

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation