[Coral-List] Reef Ball Foundation is seeking published or unpublished studies or experiences using chlorhexidine for coral fragmentation and propagation

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Fri Apr 23 06:35:07 EDT 2010

Hi Todd-

Using such treatments in a situation where the water quality is poor, nutrients
are above the thresholds needed for proper larval or coral settlemen may impair
your treatments in-situ. Marcro-algal smothering and poor water quality can
impair the coral-symbioant immune function, therefore adding these so called
bandaids may prove to be frivolous. However, it may be possible in vitro?

I would try mineral accretion and maybe "wire up those balls" as I am obtaining
very interesting results with Spartina growth, as well as successful settlement
of crustaceans even in high nutrient/algal coastal zones here in a NY Wetland.
It also seems to be working nicely with corals in many places. There is surely
something being benefited when the corals or other organisms are electrified
with regards to coral immunity and recovery within the this electric field.

James

*************************************
Dr. James M. Cervino
Visiting Scientist
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
Contact Information:
NYC Address: 9-22 119st
College Point New York, 11356
Cell: 917-620*5287
************************************

Quoting Todd Barber <reefball at reefball.com>:

* Hi All,
*
* Does anyone have any experience using chlorhexidine (solutions) as an
* antiseptic for reducing susceptibility to rapid tissue necrosis (and other
* bacterial infections)  in Acropora (or other coral species)  after
* fragmentation or other injury?  Also, does anyone have any knowledge of
* Chlorhexidine treatments in the deterrence of coral predators (such as fire
* worms) owing to it's residual activity and "bad taste"?  We are looking for
* experiences with concentrations of non-alchohol based versions of
* chlorhexidine as an adjunct or replacement to povidone iodine solution
* treatments currently used on our coral propagation tables.
*
* Any information on the concentration levels that cause toxicity in various
* hard and soft coral species is also greatly appreciated.  We are also
* interested in information on length of exposure to this chemical in terms of
* retaining residual antibacterial and anti-predator effects. Toxicity to any
* other marine life information would also be useful.  Finally, has anyone
* tried to use chlorhexidine in situ for treatment of coral bacterial
* diseases?
*
* Thanks,
*
* Todd R Barber
* Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
* 3305 Edwards Court
* Greenville, NC 27858
* 252-353-9094 (Direct)
* 941-720-7549 (Cell & Goggle Voice)
* toddbarber Skype
*
* www,reefball.org (Reef Ball Foundation)
* www.artificialreefs.com (Designed Artificial Reefs)
* www.reefbeach.com (Reefs for Beach Erosion)
* www.eternalreefs.com (Memorial Reefs)
* www.reefball.com (Reef Ball Foundation)