[Coral-List] Gulf eco-conspiracy

Osha Gray Davidson osha at oshadavidson.com
Wed Aug 11 13:22:12 EDT 2010

Bravo, Steve. There are always "journalists" (aka, hacks) who favor the
sensational over the truth. But the situation, even for those of us who are
trying to do our jobs, is made much more difficult when information from the
government is withheld longer than is necessary. I know that much of the
time there are legitimate reasons for not releasing information immediately.
But, as you pointed out, the reality is that conspiracy theories flourish in
a vacuum. As a member of the Society of Environmental Journalists, I can
tell you that this topic is a top priority of the group: the late release of
information, and its counterpart: the difficulty of interviewing government
scientists directly and on the record.

These two problems came together for me recently while I was trying to write
a story about a photograph of a decomposing whale that went viral (the
photo) during the burn controversies.

In early July I wrote a NOAA media officer:

"I’m writing a piece for OnEarth magazine about the threats to Gulf wildlife
from the BP oil spill. The picture I attached came from a blog complete with
conspiracy theories about suppression of evidence. I wanted first to make
sure that this was indeed the whale referred to in your site’s story at
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100617_whale.html."

The media guy was great, very professional and helpful. I was referred to a
more senior NOAA media person who wrote: "I have contacted my marine mammal
experts about the dead whale, but I can tell you that I have heard them say
on a couple of occasions that the burned looking skin on some dead whales
results from floating under the hot sun."

I explained that I needed to interview one of those marine mammal experts on
the record. If I only quoted someone from NOAA media, conspiracy theorists
would (rightly) have condemned my piece as inadequate. That PR person didn't
respond to my request. In the end, I couldn't write about the whale photo (I
had a deadline), leaving the field open to the sensationalists/conspiracy
theorists.

You want accurate reporting. I want to report accurately. If NOAA were more
helpful in providing timely information and access to scientists for
interviews, everyone (but the crazies) would be better-served.

Cheers,
Osha

Osha Gray Davidson
Phoenix, AZ
602-263-5582

Correspondent, OnEarth magazine
Editor, El Phoenix Sun
Twitter @thephoenixsun
Member, Society of Environmental Journalists
Author of The Enchanted Braid: Coming to Terms with Nature on the Coral Reef