[Coral-List] Acropora cervicornis spawning in Florida

Alison Moulding moulding at nova.edu
Thu Aug 19 16:55:21 EDT 2010

Histological analysis of samples of Acropora cervicornis collected off Ft.
Lauderdale, Florida confirms that spawning occurred some night between July
26 and July 31. Although divers from the National Coral Reef Institute did
not witness the main spawning event, we suspect it occurred the night of
July 27. However, no night dives were performed July 30 when A. cervicornis
was reported to have spawned in Belize. Below are observations from our
night dives and histological samples.

July 26: no night dives; abundant mature gametes present in histological
samples collected during the day; eggs visible in branches broken off
July 27: no night dives
July 28: one colony released a few bundles at 10:45pm at one of the four
sites we were monitoring
July 29: no spawning observed between 7:00 and 11:30pm; no visible eggs in
several branches broken off
July 30: no night dives due to adverse weather
July 31: no spawning observed between 7:00 and 11:30pm; no visible eggs in
several branches broken off; absence of gametes in histological samples
collected between 11:30pm and 12am

If spawning did occur the night of the 27th like we suspect, this would
have been the night after the full moon, which is unusual but not unheard of.

Alison Moulding, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
National Coral Reef Institute
Nova Southeastern University