[Coral-List] Media and Oil Spill Science

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 27 08:54:04 EDT 2010

Greg,

Likewise, I don't presume to speak for all those who remain skeptical
of both the accuracy and motives behind the NIC report, but I do believe
there is one important aspect of  Mr. Reddy's op-ed piece on which we
can all agree. And that is that a full and concise analysis of the spill
will take time and therefore any analysis that attempts to measure the
true magnitude of the spill is premature.

My point was that the way in which that report was arranged, timed and
delivered clearly contributed to (if not initiated) the controversy.
Would you really want to live in a country where the media was not
allowed to raise a challenge?(Especially considering that there appears
to be well-qualified disagreements relating to its accuracy.)

I have been diving in the gulf several times since the blow out in areas
with no obvious signs of degradation due to the spill.
But this is purely anecdotal and like the clean up crews on the beach,
it doesn't necessarily assume to tell the whole story.

If the report proves in the long run to be an accurate assessment then
those standing behind it will be vindicated. In the interim, perhaps
it would be more prudent for all involved to show both restraint and resolve
while taking the necessary steps to assure that we are doing everything
we can to see that these events are not repeated.

Sincere regards,

  Steve