[Coral-List] The Socrates Cafe RE: "sarcasm, endless disagreements, personal attacks..."

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 1 10:23:42 EST 2010

That's beautiful.  I think one of the reasons people sometimes become
less than polite in debate is because they aren't sitting right next to
each other, rather gillions of electrons away.  Think about all the
information that is passed between two parties in simple body language
before a single word is spoken.  Simple nuances, like a shrug or a tiny
smile, which might say, "Now don't take this personally, but..." before
a single challenging word is spoken, take the edge off.  It's like some
of those creditor bums who call me and are nasty over the phone, trying
(uselessly, I might add) to get me to pay my bill.  They'd never say
stuff like that to my face.  Similarly, at a reach of a thousand miles
and the whole impersonal Internet away, some people feel safe to "get in
your face" in a way they would never do at your Socrates Cafe.  I've
certainly been guilty of that, I admit.

So what's this got to do with coral reefs?  I don't know, I forgot, but
this seems to be a good place to start over and get back to the main
theme...eh, folks?