[Coral-List] The battle for biodiversity (Diadema)

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 11:36:27 EST 2010

Dear list,
I think I sort of made a mistake, perhaps more in the sense of allowing the
mouth (fingers in this case) to make comments before the brain has had a chance
to fully explore the implications of the comment. Maybe I’m the only one that
has ever done that.

As an aside to John Bruno, who is well aware of my Diadema culture work, in my
post on spiny lobster distribution and biodiversity I made the comment.

“On another marine species larval distribution note, I have Diadema larvae now
at

day 69 that are finally showing signs of readiness for settlement.”

Now this is true, but it isn’t the whole story and erroneous implications on
Diadema larval life and distribution, i.e., that Diadema normally spent 70+ days
in the plankton, could be the result. And given the great importance of this
keystone herbivore to western Atlantic coral reefs, this would not be helpful.
First of all essentially any culture of marine organisms is not “normal”. A
controlled environment, unnatural nutrition, ecological interactions, abnormally
dense populations, and many other factors preclude a “normal”, but hopefully
optimum, developmental situation for the larvae. In my case, environmental
factors such as turbulence, water quality, nutrition, and ciliate competition
affect growth and development and the morphology of the larvae is not normal.
Also there is a great range in time of development to competency for
metamorphosis between different larvae culture runs. The earliest that juveniles
have been produced is 28 days and the latest about 50 days. Typically, rudiment
development begins at about day 22 or so and most metamorphosis takes place
between days 35 and 45. The longest I have held larvae is 86 days and no
metamorphosis occurred. At this point with the current run, 70 days, the larvae
are quite large with large internal rudiments, and although they “look”
competent, and despite introduction of biochemical cues, settlement and
metamorphosis is not occurring, yet. There is a great deal yet to be learned
about larval development of Diadema and all I know at this point is that these
larvae apparently have great plasticity of morphology and development time and
their environment (pelagic and benthic) apparently has a great influence on
where and when they settle. A few more little difficulties need to be worked out
but the basics are in hand and I hope that between Dave Vaughan, Tom Capo and
me, we will soon have the techniques established for large scale production of
Diadema juveniles for use in coral reef restoration research.

Martin Moe