[Coral-List] Lionfish update from St Croix

Frank Galdo Jr tofrg at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 13:02:58 EST 2010

Hi Melissa, just wanted to give some input as to the bleaching here in the USVI
this year.  We  actually have seen fairly widespread major bleaching these past
few months,  especially on the shallow reefs.  It could have been much worse
too, if it had  not been for the good timing of the storms which came through
the area  this season.  If you check out the sea-surface temperature graph for
this year:
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/current/sst_series_usvirgin_cur.html
, you'll see just how close we came to having some serious problems  this year,
but even so, we definitely didn't escape unscathed.

Around St Thomas, we were seeing reefs where a majority of corals were  showing
signs of bleaching.  Fortunately, now that the waters have  cooled, we're seeing
a lot of color returning to the reefs, but we're not out of  the woods yet, as
much of the coral loss of 2005-06 occurred from  disease outbreaks in the year
following the bleaching episode.

-Frank Galdo Jr
MMES Program
University of the Virgin Islands