[Coral-List] Biodiversity extinction

GJ GJ at fishion.eu
Mon Feb 1 17:23:44 EST 2010

Comes to mind the story of the complete overfishing of cod on the Grand Banks. Atlantic cod is absolutely not extinct. The cod fisheries are extinct (with much social hardship). The ecosystem has been so changed that cod stocks haven't even recovered in marine reserves where all fishing has been prohibited for decades. For centuries cod catch was sustainable at about 500,000,000 kg per year. That is serious money. The pain is not only to the ecosystem, but clearly also economic.

The issue is not only species going extinct or biodiversity loss. The real question is how we humans organize our lives and economic activities so that we don't plunder nature, destabilize ecosystems, wipe out species and destroy opportunities for our own offspring. Biodiversity loss is but one aspect and fortunately, we're at least discovering some species before we bring them to extinction. Unfortunately, we cannot know how many we have never known...

Best wishes, GJ

--
Gert Jan Gast
Koningin Wilhelminakade 227, 1975GL IJmuiden, the Netherlands