[Coral-List] Post-doc application advice.

Deb Cleland deborah.cleland at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 01:50:44 EST 2010

Dear all,

We at the Fenner School in Australia are hoping to get some
advice on applying for post-doc positions in the United States.

The application process appears to be pretty different to the style
we've  encountered here in Australia,  which usually involves
addressing a set of Selection Criteria. We get  training in how to
address Selection Criteria and the sorts of things that employers look
for, but we're rather unsure about the US style. We were wondering if
anyone had any advice or experience in this?

The positions mostly seem to ask for a CV and a statement or
description of research interests. So some of the questions we have
are, how long should such a statement be? How detailed and broad
should it be? For instance should it just address broad general topics
of interest or be more detailed such as discussing potential research
questions and hypotheses? How tailored should it be to what the
specific research position is about, compared to being specific about
one's own research interests? Should it include examples of previous
research? What are potential employers and supervisors looking for in
such an application?

Thanking you very much in advance for any advice  you are able to offer.

Cheers

Deb
--
Deborah Cleland
PhD Student
e: deborah.cleland at anu.edu.au

<<<- Is it worth a tree to print me?

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an
inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day." E.B.
White