[Coral-List] sea urchin removal to prevent bioerosion

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 11:53:49 EST 2010

There was a effort made to remove control the abundance of
Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis on off Nova Scotia in the early 1980s
followed by a mass mortality in about 1983 that may be instructive. Try
Marine Biology (Mann, Wharton, Scheiberling, others). If I am not mistaken a
retrospective paper on the removal exercise and its conceptual
rationalization concluded that it was misconceived.