[Coral-List] sea urchin removal to prevent bioerosion

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 11:10:42 EST 2010

Dear Paul,
That’s an apropos analogy, comparing the number and size of
gears to the interaction of organisms in an ecological system. I hope you don’t
have it copyrighted… I think the ecological gears are always moving, sometimes
very dramatically when a large gear moves very quickly only in one direction,
like when the Diadema population crashed, or in small increments, such a successful
survival, or failure, of a year class of a relatively dominant organism in an ecosystem.
The ecological gears are always turning, sometime greatly and swiftly and
sometimes slowly and reciprocally creating the illusion of a static ecosystem. However,
after us humans came on the scene in large numbers and with the magic of our technology,
those ecological gears really speeded up and now the system seems to be running
amuck and flying apart.

On Diadema and bio-erosion, for what it’s worth, I have had
a brood stock of adult Diadema in a shallow 110 gallon tank for about 4 years.
There are about a dozen large limestone coral rocks in the tank. The Diadema go
though a two gallon bucket of dense macro algae every day or two, they roam the
rocks and the tank sides incessantly, and there are absolutely no algae growths
on the rocks or the tank sides. In all this time I have seen no scraping into
the surface of the rocks. Of course there are no other bio-eroders such as
boring sponges or clams or filamentous algae on or in the rocks. And the reef
and a tank are two very different environments.

I made a very interesting observation yesterday. It was day
8 of a larvae rearing run with Diadema. I placed a Petri dish of about 2000
larvae under the dissecting scope, checked them out, and then my attention was
diverted. Maybe 10 minutes later I returned and found that almost all the
larvae were tightly concentrated under the small bright spot of the illuminator.
I experimented with moving the illuminator, separating the two spots on
different sides of the dish, and in every case, the larvae moved to concentrate
in the brightest points of light. To me, this indicates that the larvae are
positively phototropic (a valuable tropism if the larvae need to remain in the
surface waters) and also have the capability for directed movement (a valuable
trait if the larvae need to find and move towards a suitable area for
settlement). I would expect that if the larvae can respond and move toward
light, they would also be able to respond and move toward a biochemical
stimulus as well, although that would be a response to a very variable chemical
gradient rather than light intensity. But this is interesting, especially since
after metamorphosis the early juvenile shows a negative response to light,
indicating a reversal of positive phototropism.

Martin Moe