[Coral-List] question about the expanded listing of coral species

Andrea A. Treece atreece at biologicaldiversity.org
Mon Feb 22 13:01:15 EST 2010

Hi Les,

The petition authors chose the corals based on three criteria:

(1) species occur within US jurisdiction

(2) IUCN species accounts estimated population reductions of at least 30%
over a 30-year period; they are IUCN-listed as Vulnerable, Endangered, or
Critically Endangered

(3) literature review of threats

With regard to the aquarium hobby, the petition notes harvest of wild coral
- particularly destructive and unregulated or poorly regulated wild harvest
- as a threat to the species.  There's no criticism of trade in aquacultured
corals or intent to prevent it.  The ESA petition process requires that all
threats to the species be identified.  Obviously, some are greater than
others.

Thanks,

Andrea

Andrea A. Treece

Senior Attorney, Oceans Program

Center for Biological Diversity

351 California Street, Suite 600

San Francisco, CA 94104

ph: 415-436-9682 x306      fax:  415-436-9683

Message: 3