[Coral-List] What eats Diadema

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Mon Jan 11 11:30:59 EST 2010

Maybe I missed it but did not see  Hogfish mentioned as a Diadema
predator. I have watched them pick off all the spines one by one and
ten swallow the test in a single gulp. Back when I got through school
spearing Hogfish for restaurants (before the die-offf and when they
were called Hogsnapper)  all  larger hogfish we took had at least a
dozen purple spots around the head. After the Diadema die-off hogfish
ceased to have those purple puncture spots. Apparently they switched
to other prey and are doing well. Hogfish fillets are now common in
fish markets in the Florida Keys and one restaurant (Hogfish Grille
on Stock Island) is becoming famous for its Hogfish dishes. Since
they are rarely taken other than by spearing I have to wonder about
the source? (and yes it really is Hogfish) Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor