[Coral-List] Mediterranean Red Coral

santangelo gsantangelo at biologia.unipi.it
Thu Jan 21 12:59:28 EST 2010

Dear Karim, the real question is: it is possible to set out a rational,
serlective exploitation of the Mediterranean red coral, based on sound
demographic data? Our answer, based on our researches is:  yes, it is
possible. Morover, according with the FAO official panel on precious
corals held recently (November 2009) in Rome there are not any data  (a
90% reduction of the resource) which can justify the inclusion. Annex
II, in my and our opinion is only a way to cross over the real managing
problems which are: to control that fishing will be really selective
towards older/larger colonies, to protect several populations in MPAs
and in "shalow-waters" (the populations living between 20 and 60 meters
have a limited economic value and must be protected), and, first of all,
that a real enforcement towards poacing will be be applied.
Sincerely, yours
Giovanni Santangelo

Prof. Giovanni Santangelo

Zoology and Animal Ecology