[Coral-List] cold water coral kill

Alan Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 28 15:06:40 EST 2010

I can only wonder how much the corals of the entire region might
ultimately show an increased tolerance to bleaching & especially disease
in the coming years because of these colder temperatures.  We know
extremely cold temperatures in the GBR back in 2004 [Heron Island] saw a
rapid bounce back following the low SSTs....what about recovery in the
Gulf of California from cold water bleaching a couple years ago???

Cheers,
Al

Hoegh-Guldburg, O., M. Fine, W. Skirving, R. Johnstone, S. Dove and A..
Strong (2005). Coral bleaching following wintry weather. Limnology and
Oceanography 50(1): 265-271.

--
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
   e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5305
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x108               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602