[Coral-List] Biodiversity extinction

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Sat Jan 30 04:55:04 EST 2010

Interesting thoughts.
    When people find new species, these are species that are new to us, but
they were there all the
time.  They didn't just evolve in the last few weeks or years.  They are
species that people hadn't found, or hadn't recognized.  Many are "cryptic"
so they may be rare, physically hidden, very small, camouflaged, or just so
similar to known species that nobody noticed the difference before.  You are
definately correct that new marine species are found vastly much faster than
extinctions are discovered, but the new species are not ones that have just
evolved recently in our lives, so they don't balance extinctions.
       There are vastly more species out there on reefs than we have
cataloged.  There are various ways of estimating total numbers of species,
and they may produce different estimates, but they all agree that the total
is vastly larger than the ones we have found and cataloged.  The largest
number of species known from any one reef system presently to my knowledge
is New Caleldonia where about 8500 species are known.  The names alone fill
a book an inch thick, names only, no descriptions, photos, etc.  But the
estimates are that coral reefs around the world may have up to a half
million species on them.  So almost all of them are not yet known.
      Indeed, the question of whether there are fewer extinctions in the
oceans than on land is one that has been debated.  The oldest view is that
the oceans are so large that it's resources including organisms, are
undepleteable.  That has clearly been demonstrated not to be the case
(unfortunately).  Demonstrating the extinction of a species is not easy.  It
is essentially the null hypothesis, proving something doesn't exist
anywhere, so it
is impossible to totally prove.  So one view is that in the oceans, it is
just nearly impossible to demonstrate that something no longer exists
anywhere.  I believe that in general a species isn't declared extinct until
it has not been found for 50 years.  By then it is a bit late to try to
conserve them, so we have to do something while they are decreasing.  I read
recently that 107 species (none marine) have gone extinct in the U.S. while
their cases
were being reviewed for Endangered Species Status.  That is an example of
management failure, and comes from gross underfunding of the agencies
responsable for researching the status of the species.  The IUCN Red List
has a standard set of criteria by which information on species can be
evaluated, to estimate danger of future extinction.  The criteria were put
together by experts on extinction.  A recent review of all the world's reef
coral species found many to be threatened.  One coral species has been
claimed to
have gone extinct, a fire coral on the Pacific coast of Panama, due to the
1983 El Nino mass bleaching event, which killed all 2000 or so colonies
known to exist of that species.  Eventually another smaller group of
colonies was discovered, and then all 100 of them were killed in the 1998 El
Nino
bleaching event.  Most recently, the species has been found in a coral
collection from Indonesia, so presumably it is not extinct.
     Reviews of marine extinctions have in some cases documented a variety
of apparent extinctions, but some are only local extinctions, and some are
near-extinctions, with a very few individuals left known.  But even with
those added, the numbers are still small.  Is that because the oceans are so
big it is hard to extinguish a species?  Or is it because the oceans are so
big it is hard to find the information to show that species have gone
extinct?  Not an easy question to answer.
      Back to "biodiversity," there are lots of different measures of
biodiversity, the total number of species in existance on the whole planet
is just one measure.  There are indices of biodiversity that can be applied
locally, and they can decline even without a species being totally lost,
just by the evenness of species being reduced.  So if you go from 100
species all equally abundant, to 100 species where 99 are extremely rare,
and one totally dominates the ecosystem, biodiversity has been reduced.
That is likely to be the kind of reduction of biodiversity that happens in
the earlier stages of the destruction of coral reefs, unless the agent of
destruction is highly selective for some species.  All destructive agents
are likely to be at least partly selective, so for instance bleaching kills
some species much more readily than others.  Certainly it caused a local
extinction of that firecoral in Pacific Panamal without causing the
extinction of other corals.  White band disease in the Caribbean is
sufficiently specific to Acropora to cause massive losses of Acropora there
which led to the Acropora species being listed as Endangered Species.  Local
extinctions can be a microcosm of global extinction.  Local extinction of
bumphead parrotfish on some islands in Fiji by spearfishing has been
documented.  Further, there are species on reefs that are endemic, that is,
restricted to small areas.  Those species can be particularly vulnerable to
extinctions.  An example might be several species of toadfish, a couple
known only from Belize, one known only from Cozumel.  Many reef species have
wide dispersal, but a few don't.  I get a chuckle when I read a paper that
says that reef fish all have a larval dispersal phase.  Sharks and rays
certainly do not have a larval dispersal phase, nor do most toadfish, or the
Bangaii Cardinal, or handfish (a type of angler that mostly lives in
Tasmania, OK, not a reef area, but some species are endemic to a just one or
two
river mouths).
     The extinction of species on land is well documented, and as I
understand it, the rates of extinction due to humans are on the same order
of
magnitude as that during the great extinction events of the geological
record.
Doug

Douglas Fenner
Dept Marine & Wildlife Resources
American Samoa

Carleton JT  (1993)  Neoextinctions of marine invertebrates.  American
Zoologist 33: 499-509.

Carlton JT, Geller JB, Reaka-Kudla ML, Norse EA  (1999)  Historical
extinctions in the sea.  Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 30: 515-538.

Carpenter, K. E., Abrar M., Aeby G., Aronson R., Bruckner A., Delbeek C.,
DeVantier L., Edgar G., Edwards A., Fenner, D. and 29 others.  2008.  One
third of reef building corals face elevated extinction risk from climate
change and local impacts.  Science 321: 560-563.

Culotta E  (1994)  Is marine biodiversity at risk?  Science 263: 918-920.

Dulvy, N. K., Polunin, N. V. C. 2004a.  Using informal knowledge to infer
human-induced rarity of a conspicuous reef fish.  Animal Conservation 7:
365-374.

Dulvy, N. K., Sadovy, Y., Reynolds, J. D.  2003.  Extinction vulnerability
in marine populations.  Fish and Fisheries 4: 25-64.

Fenner, D  (2001)  Mass bleaching threatens two corals with extinction.
Reef Encounter 29: 9-10

Glynn, PW, Feingold JS  (1992)  Hydrocoral species not extinct.  Science
257: 1845.

Glynn PW, de Weerdt WH.  (1991)  Elimination of two reef-building
hydrocorals following the 1982-83 El Nino warming event.  Science 253:
69-71.

Hawkins, J.P., Roberts, C.M. and V. Clark.  2000.  The threatened status of
restricted-range coral reef fish species.  Animal Conservation 3: 81-88.

Payri, C. E. and B. Richer de Forges (eds), Compendium of marine species
from New Caledonia.  Documents Scientifiques et Techniques II7, Institute de
recherche pour le developpement, Noumea.

Powles H, Bradford MJ, Bradford RG, Doubleday WG, Innes S, Levings CD
(2000)  Assessing and protecting endangered marine species.  ICES Journal of
Marine Science 57: 669-676.

Purvis A, Gittleman JL, Cowlishaw G, Mace GM  (2000)  Predicting extinction
risk in declining species.  Proceedings of the Royal Society B 267:
1947-1952.

Razak, T.B. and B.W. Hoeksema. 2003. The hydrocoral genus Millepora
(Hydrozoa: Capitata: Milleporidae) in Indonesia.  Zool. Verh. Leiden 345:
313-336.

Reaka-Kudla ML  (1995)  An estimate of known and unknown biodiversity and
potential for extinction on coral reefs.  Reef Encounter 17: 8-12.

Roberts CM, Hawkins JP  (1999)  Extinction risk in the sea.  Trends in
Ecology and Evolution 14: 241-246

Senior, K. 2004.  Delays caused 107 species extinctions in the US.
Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2: 229.