[Coral-List] Biodiversity extinction

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Fri Jan 29 19:05:32 EST 2010

You seem to have a fatal flaw in your logic: few species are documented
to be lost (extinct); many [sic] species are reported as "newly
discovered;" thus an apparent conclusion that the number of "newly
discovered" species offsets the number lost.

The problem is that the "newly discovered" species aren't really "new."
  They are just "newly documented" -- either they have never been
collected (for whatever reason), or they have been collected previously
but not recognized as a new species, or they have been identified as new
species using technologies not available a couple of decades ago.

Are there truly "new" species?  The existence of a truly "new" species
is improbable -- with the possible exception of microbial organisms that
tend to thumb their nose at the classic notion of the biological species
concept and that pass through numerous generations in a single year.
For the most part, the "new" species being described probably existed as
distinct biological entities for decades, centuries, or millennia prior
to their recent description and recognition in the scientific literature.

Are species truly going extinct?  Of that, there is no doubt.

Dave