[Coral-List] Cognac

Steve Kolian stevekolian at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 17:19:03 EDT 2010

Listers,
Scott Porter and Allen Walker went offshore friday to Cognac (MC 194) and there was blue water, there's a west wind moving the blue water in. Last time we visited Cognac, on June 28th, we encountered turbid waters down to 45 ft (maybe deeper) and visibility was 1.5 to 2.5 feet.  The CNN staff wouldn't let them jump in the water to get data. An arrow pierced Scott's heart. Scott, from the surface, saw a new form of oil and dispersant signature in the water that we haven't seen before.  A white layer at 15 feet below the surface. Water above was blue. Normally, at Cognac, the water becomes clearer as you go deeper. I am not sure what to make of this. Another surprise.

Scott said the silky sharks, that have been there since our first visit on May 7th, came up to the boat aggressively and circled the boat, they threw biscuits to them and they eagerly ate them. Man I wish we could have gotten a data point there. The west wind is still blowing.

Best Regards, Steve Kolian 225-910-0304 cell