[Coral-List] Request for Yellowtail snapper fisheries data

Steve Box steve at utilaecology.org
Thu Jun 10 14:16:07 EDT 2010

Dear List members,
I am conducting a review for the Caribbean region to investigate the level
of existing and historic exploitation of the coral reef grouper/snapper
fisheries with specific interest in the recreational, commercial and small
scale fisheries of yellowtail snapper (Ocyurus chrysurus). I realise that at
a national level fisheries statistics often do not hold species specific
resolution for coral reef fisheries so whilst I am also collating that
information I am looking for alternative sources.

I would be grateful to members of the list for any written fisheries reports
or raw data relating to the coral reef fisheries which may not have been
published in the main stream scientific literature. This could include
fisheries landing data or fisheries independent data (such as underwater
visual surveys or fishing experiments) or reports that members of the list
may be willing to share with me.  I am interested in information for any
part of the wider Caribbean region.

The review is part of a regionally important research programme initiated
this year called: “The Future of Reefs in a Changing Environment (FORCE): an
ecosystem approach to managing Caribbean coral reefs in the face of climate
change” which aims to link social and ecological research to provide
management tools for Caribbean coral reefs in the face of climate change
(see http://www.force-project.eu/)

I would also be grateful for contact information for any local
non-governmental organizations or fisheries cooperatives that may have
additional data sets, or local knowledge on yellowtail snapper fisheries and
may be interested in being part of this study.
Please contact me directly on steve at utilaecology.org if you have any
information that may be relevant to this study or questions regarding this
component of the FORCE project.

Thanks,
Stephen Box PhD

Executive Director