[Coral-List] Tubastraea on GOM oil rigs

Greg Challenger gchallenger at msn.com
Tue Jun 22 15:20:44 EDT 2010

"Spill of Opportunity" is a well known phrase used by all scientists and responders who have ever worked on a spill.  Spills and accidents exist.  We cant stop them all and we will have more.  We arent allowed to dump oil in the ocean to conduct relevant studies that help us respond in better ways....so it is an opportunity for in situ study that can benefit the future. Laboratory work in this field is very controversial because it simply cannot match the actual oceanic conditions.  Some people are predisposed to being enraged..others realize we can't take it back and must work constructively to move forward and solve the problem.

I guarantee you the marine scientific world will learn new things from this spill that they would not have without it.  Do we wish it didnt happen..absolutely.  But will we capitalize on what we can learn since it did....yes!!

Best regards,

Greg E. Challenger,M.S.

Principal Marine Scientist/Professional Wetland Scientist

Polaris Applied Sciences, Incorporated 12525 131st Ct NE Kirkland, WA 98034 425-823-4841 425-823-3805 fx 206-369-5686 cell visit us at: polarisappliedsciences.com