[Coral-List] The infamous 82 corals and what members of Coral-List ought to be doing about them

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Wed Mar 3 19:34:27 EST 2010

Hi Andrea:

What is being done by NOAA and CI to protect the extensive threatened Acropora palmata populations less than 100 ft (30 m) from shore in the Tres Palmas Reserve off Rincon Puerto Rico, and further south off the W coast of PR?  Are they imposing development moratoriums along that coastline so that the beach front areas along which those corals live are not built up with hotels and condos?  A lonely group of environmentalists were trying to convince local planning boards not to issue building permits but I didn't hear of any offiicial govermental group stepping in to stop the development (which hopefully the civilian groups managed to stop...I haven't heard any more about it since last December).

If government action can't stop such immediate threats to corals already listed, what is the point of listing more species?  And most of the remaining healthy coral populations in the Caribbean are outside of US waters.  What is the US doing to buy up land near and protect remaining healthy coral populations off of Roatan, Curacao and Boniare?  Those areas are upstream of US reef areas and are under extreme development pressure.  If US can't work with those countries that own the waters where the corals still live then it is all pretty futile.

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Coral Reef Research Program, Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel:  (910)962-2362; fax: (910)962-2410;  cell:  (910)200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta