[Coral-List] The infamous 82 corals and what members of Coral-List, ought to be doing about them (Francisco Soto)

Steven Thur steven.thur at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 9 10:38:07 EST 2010

Francisco and others,

As I am employed by one of those U.S. government agencies (and sending this from that agency's network), I will refrain from responding on the need for INCREASED community involvement in the management of natural resources.  However, I will fully agree with the need to integrate the opinion of local communities in decision-making.  In fact, the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program funded, via our General Grants Program, the development of the Tres Palmas Natural Reserve management plan that is referenced.  This is one of many examples of how our federal program works with organizations and individuals at multiple levels (other Feds, States/Territories/Commonwealths, Counties/Municipalities, and NGOs) to further coral reef conservation.  Engaging the local community early in the process was vital for Tres Palmas, and the lessons learned there have been incorporated into our efforts elsewhere.

So, the purpose of my reply is to illustrate the challenges of transforming specific critiques about individual environmental management practices or statutes into general statements that break down under closer scrutiny.  While it is likely a valid opinion that increased community involvement is needed, the Tres Palmas example is one that illustrates positive partnerships.  I am pleased that the Tres Palmas management plan is viewed as a success by at least some number of interested individuals in Puerto Rico, and I am proud that the federal program I work for had a role in its development.

Steven Thur, Ph.D.
Coral Reef Conservation Program
Office of Ocean & Coastal Resource Management
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
N/OCM, SSMC4, Rm. 10404
1305 East-West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910

email:  steven.thur at noaa.gov