[Coral-List] Harmful effects of suntan lotion on coral reefs?

Robert Miller rjmiller1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 17:27:12 EST 2010

Greg,
The title of the paper you cite is "Sunscreens Cause
Coral Bleaching by Promoting Viral Infections."  There is nothing
wrong with that.  The entire statement from the paper that you partly
quote below is:

"Our results indicate that sunscreens promoting lytic cycle in viruses
can cause coral bleaching. Because human use of tropical ecosystems
and coral reef areas is progressively increasing, we predict that the
impact of sun-screens on coral bleaching will grow considerably in the
future on a global scale."

There's nothing wrong with that either.  The authors are making a general
prediction based on their results, which is perfectly reasonable. The
authors exposed corals at levels as low as 2
microliters of sunscreen per liter, I wouldn't call that "slathering."
The paper presents a chemical analysis of various sunscreens, and a
transparent estimate of how much sunscreen is released on reefs.  It
seems to me to be a very good piece of work.  Maybe you're right and
it's not enough to justify restricting sunscreens, but it certainly gets the
ball rolling on knowing one way or the other.

 Bob

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Boland, Gregory S
> <Gregory.Boland at mms.gov> wrote:
>> Bob,
>>
>> I thought about my comment being misinterpreted a minute after sending. I
in no way intended to say laboratory toxicity testing was somehow
illegitimate.   With regard to results of tank (or plastic bag) experiments,
I also agree with you 100%.  This experiment and others mentioned in other
posts clearly demonstrates that you should not tend living corals in tanks
or other small containers while slathered in sunscreens.  My point was that
a statement in the conclusion of the Danovaro et al. paper that they,
"predict that the impact of sunscreens on coral bleaching WILL grow
considerably in the future on a global scale" based on experiments in 2
liter whirl pack bags is not legitimate.  I doubt you disagree.  I agree
there is certainly a remote possibility, but this paper did not attempt to
demonstrate that.  Until measurements are made next to coral on the reef
that detects the contaminants in question, even at the ppb level, making
statements similar to the above or creating laws banning the use of
sunscreens is not based on good science.  I would expect thousands of
compounds placed inside a whirlpack with corals would also have an impact,
probably even saliva or urine. If you know about in situ measurements in
Hanauma Bay demonstrating higher than ppb levels of sunscreen contaminants
around corals, that would be enlightening.

coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of Robert Miller