[Coral-List] sunscreen

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Wed Mar 10 10:41:03 EST 2010

Interesting that the sunscreen issue has such a
long life. Its long life is likely because the
results were published in a peer review journal
and the work did not require funding from any US
agency. I read the original paper over a year ago
and made some comments on the list.  I had given
the paper to someone (a Fellow of the American
Academy of Environmental Medicine) who knows more
about viral infections than I. He quickly pointed
out that the results were not caused by toxicity.
Instead this was a case, (as Rebecca pointed out)
where the sunscreen stimulated an immune reaction
that caused ejection of a virus into the water.
In theory the virus could cause a chain reaction
in nearby corals leading an epidemic. That at
least is the hypothesis which is very different
from direct toxicity effect. where concentration
would be the controlling factor. Its more like
they way humans catch and spread the flu.  I do
not know if that would happen but it is an
interesting and scary idea. Because of that I was
stimulated enough to test the theory further.
      Once each summer a radio station in the
Florida Keys puts on an underwater music festival
in the Marine Sanctuary at Looe Key Reef.
Loudspeakers are lowered into the water from
boats and music is played both over the airwaves
and in the water. On a good weather day the water
is filled with divers "slathered" with sunscreen
and an oil slick can be observed (if it is calm)
while the aroma of coconut oil prevails. Last
summer I went with my medical friend prepared to
sample water and surface films with Teflon
sheets. He has a long history of testing for
pesticides using this technique. Unfortunately it
was a terrible day with 20 knot winds and only 4
boats were on the reef, presumably the ones with
the underwater speakers. We did no sampling and
the whole exercise was a total bust. Hopefully
someone will repeat the testing next summer. No
permit is required to sample water. Similar
testing could also be conducted on a calm weekend
at Grecian Rocks reefŠYou can really smell the
coconut aroma there.  Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor