[Coral-List] Deadline for submitting comments on 82 corals is April 12

Sarah Heberling Sarah.Heberling at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 29 14:03:17 EDT 2010

To clarify again the process --

1) NMFS was petitioned to list 83 species by the Center for Biological
Diveristy (CBD).  CBD chose which species it wanted to petition NMFS to
list based on the IUCN Red List.  NMFS had nothing to do with which
coral species were chosen, so ask CBD about the specifics.

2) Because CBD petitioned us to list these 83 species, we had to issue a
90-day determination on whether the petitioned action (i.e., to list 83
species of coral as threatened or endangered under the U.S. Endangered
Species Act) MAY be warranted.  NMFS recently determined that the
petitioned action (i.e, to list 83 species of coral as threatened or
endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act) MAY be warranted for
*82* coral species.  NMFS determined the petitioned action is NOT
warranted for /Oculina varicosa/, or Ivory Bush Coral.

3) Because NMFS determined that the petitioned action MAY be warranted,
we *must* conduct a status review for each of the 82 species of corals.
As I said before, and I say again, status reviews are comprehensive
assessments of a species' biological status and its threats, and are the
basis for making determinations as to whether a species warrants listing
under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.  Thus, status reviews show the
whole picture of a species' status, and help us determine whether a
species is in need of listing under the Act.  NMFS may find, through the
status review process, that listing of a species or group of species is
*NOT* warranted.

Anytime NMFS is petitioned under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, we
must go through a series of actions, as prescribed by the Act.  NMFS is
legally *required* to issue a 90-day finding.  NMFS is legally
*required* to conduct a status review when a positive 90-day finding is
made.  Please facilitate this legally mandated process by providing
*accurate* information, as requested in the positive 90-day
determination for the petitioned action (see Jennifer Moore's posting,
below).

Here are some helpful links:
The 90-day finding for CBD's petition:
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/pdf/75FR6616_90day_Finding_83_Corals.pdf

To provide your two cents on the information requested in the 90-day
finding for any of the 82 species:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a90b1f.

Thanks,
Sarah

--
Sarah E. Heberling
NOAA Fisheries Service
Email: Sarah.Heberling at noaa.gov
Web: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pr.htm

"What good is a used up world; and how could it be worth having?"