[Coral-List] Oil and corals

Walter Goldberg goldberg at fiu.edu
Sat May 1 13:16:52 EDT 2010

Listers, for those of you who want to get a better background on the relationship between corals and oil spills than might be revealed by one person's personal experience and opinions, please see NOAA's manual on the subject:
http://response.restoration.noaa.gov
Scroll down to their 10 MB pdf Oil Spills and Coral Reefs, which in part states:
The old notion that coral reefs do not suffer acute toxicity effects from oil floating over them
is probably incorrect. Certainly, direct coating increases the severity of impact, but oil concentrations
attainable during a spill may also kill some species.
Cheers,
Walter M. Goldberg, Ph.D.
Professor of Biological Sciences
Florida International University