[Coral-List] BP Oil Spill Response Where's FACTS and TRUTH??

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Sun May 9 13:31:17 EDT 2010

Maybe I'm missing something, but saying the scientific community "needs
to focus on what is the actual measured impact rather than what are the
possible impacts" sounds backwards to someone like me who has some
training in emergency response.  It seems that it is best to anticipate
what will possibly happen so as not to get caught with one's pants down
while the fire spreads to the woods in back of the outhouse.  Oftentimes
in emergencies, waiting until the actual impacts are "measured" results
in an unnecessarily high body count.

Dave

On 5/8/2010 10:22 AM, Quenton Dokken wrote:
> Good Morning Tom,
>
> I agree that the questions you list below must be addressed, but what does the cause of the spill have to do with scientific evaluation of the impact of the spill on the marine ecosystem?  No doubt your questions will be addressed in scores of lawsuits, but the marine science community still needs to focus on what is the actual measured impact rather than what are the possible impacts. Purely based on speculation the popular press has already declared this an "unprecedented disaster," fisheries are going to collapse, whole communities will disappear, etc.  None of this is supported by scientific assessment.  Steve LeGore stated the appropriate position for the science community very well.
>
> Quenton
>
> Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
> Executive Director
> Gulf of Mexico Foundation, Inc.
> PMB 51 5403 Everhart Rd.
> Corpus Christi, TX 78411
>
> Office:  3833 South Staples Suite S214
>                  Corpus Christi, TX 78411
>
> 361-882-3939 o
> 361-882-1262 f
> 361-442-6064 c
>
> www.gulfmex.org

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan