[Coral-List] skeletal deposition

Kaylee Smit kaylee_smit at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 13 07:40:50 EDT 2010

Hi there, my name is Kaylee Smit and I am currently doing my honours at UKZN, Durban, South Africa.
I am fairly new to this list, but I wanted to ask a question regarding coral skeleton deposition and coral staining.
I will be staining my corals with Alizarin Red solution. Firstly, at what concentration should the solution be? And secondly, do corals deposit their calcium carbonate skeleton during specific times of the day (some say higher rates are experienced during the day)? I am wanting to stain the corals overnight and I wanted to know if this would have an effect on the staining of the corals?

Thanks for your help.
Kaylee Smit