[Coral-List] BP Oil Spill Response

Quenton Dokken qdokken at gulfmex.org
Sun May 16 12:37:06 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

I agree with you fully.  I just finished drafting a commentary for the Gulf of Mexico Foundation website ( www.gulfmex.org ) which should be on line tomorrow (Monday May 17th), in which I address the need for scientific investigation and funding to support science, not only during the time of crisis but just as importantly in the time after the current crises and before the next crisis.  No one should be restricting science for any reason.  I understand the pressures of personal injury litigation that BP is facing.  Unfortunately, the federal government is the only entity that can make policy changes that would allow the much needed openness and transparency during catastrophic events; openness and transparency that the personal injury industry thwarts. I wonder how the Congressional testimony of o/g officials would have went if their testimony was declared off limits to court proceedings? I bet we would have seen "unprecedented" openness and transparency instead of finger pointing!  Don't get me wrong, those who are impacted deserve compensation to a level matching their losses, but that is not how the personal injury process works - the personal injury lawyers must get their cut.  I wonder just what was the true economic loss of the individual after all the Exxon Valdez suits were paid.
I trust you have noted one of my biases here.

Another bias, I don't believe it is practical to think that we can snap our fingers and the offshore oil/gas industry will go away.  In energy and chemistry the hydrocarbon products these companies produce is in everything in our lives.  Just try to touch something around you that does not have hydrocarbon energy or chemistry in it.  Certainly we should be aggressively developing alternative sources of energy, but that will not reduce our dependency on hydrocarbon chemistry. I personally think that rather than having impossible expectations, we are better served finding ways to work with industry, all industries, to reduce impacts as they deliver the products we demand. Adding national security and federal budget needs, the I don't think the offshore oil and gas industry is going away anytime soon and I will continue to work with them to find the least impactful ways of operation.

Thanks for the comments.

Quenton

Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
Executive Director